Nicholas Fuentes, a 19-year-old college student who attended the Unite the Right rally last weekend in Charlottesville, Va., dropped out of Boston University and said he will attend Auburn University in Alabama in the spring, al.com reported Sunday.
Fuentes said he no longer felt safe in Boston and had received death threats since attending the rally. He said he had already been accepted to Auburn and enrolled in May, explaining in an interview with the “Auburn Plainsman” that is was “just a matter of getting over there.”
Fuentes, a native of Chicago, hosts “America First” on the Auburn-based Right Side Network and told the Chicago Tribune on Friday the university was “one of my original choices to go to school when I graduated high school.”
“Auburn University is a more wholesome campus. It has better weather and better people. And, ultimately, I think it will be friendlier territory,” he said.
Fuentes told the “Plainsman” he was a “paleoconservative” and described his cause as “advocating for is the preservation of the traditional order of the country.”
“If you look at what’s happened since Charlottesville a lot of the process of removing Confederate monuments has only accelerated. I see this, and I think a lot of people in the South see this as a cultural genocide,” he said.
“I think if it was any other people and any other country in the world, the United Nations, the United States, the liberal press would call this cultural genocide. But, because it’s a certain group of people, the removal of our monuments and our history has gone unnoticed without media attention,” he continued.
An Auburn spokesperson said Fuentes had not enrolled, according to al.com.