Trump speech at Congress

A survey conducted by CNN of Americans who were able to view on Tuesday evening, President Donald Trump’s address to a Congressional joint session, found that almost four out of five U.S. citizens reacted positively to his speech.

The poll was performed among 509 respondents and carries a 4.5 percent margin of error. The survey reveals that 57 percent held “very positive” views of the speech, with 21 percent having a “positive reaction, totaling 78 percent “positive” in general. Those with a “negative” reaction make up a mere 21 percent.

Trump adresses CongressFurther, a large majority, 69 percent, believes that the President’s speech “would move the country in the right direction,” with just 26 percent saying it would shift America “in the wrong direction.” When asked before the speech, 58 percent of respondents stated they anticipated that it would move the country in the right direction, which just shows that the speech affected viewers positively. Moreover, 69 percent remarked that Trump’s speech gave them a more optimistic view of the country, with only 28 percent indicating that it made them more pessimistic.

CNN also noted the following:

On specific issues, Trump scored the highest marks for his proposed policies on the economy, with 72% saying those went in the right direction. Almost as many, 70%, said the same about his terrorism proposals. Slightly fewer, but still a majority, felt his policies on taxes (64%), immigration (62%) or health care (61%) were heading in the right direction.

Ideologically, about two-thirds saw Trump’s speech as about right, while roughly on-quarter (26%) pegged it as too conservative. Just 8% said it wasn’t conservative enough.