Ex-policeman Arturo Lascanas has fled the Philippines after testifying to killing hundreds of people while being a member of President Rodrigo Duterte’s “death squad” when he was still the mayor of Davao City.
In a Senate hearing February, Lascanas confessed to killing 300 people, 200 of which were allegedly ordered by then Davao City Mayor Duterte.
The former police officer’s account has been rejected as untrue by the administration and officials underscored that investigations into president Duterte’s past have discovered no transgressions.
After a series of hearings, Senators did not find evidence that the “Davao death squad” existed.
However, Lascanas decided that he needed to escape.
In a video posted on the Philippine Daily Inquirer News website, Lascanas said: “I was advised that my life is really in danger.” The ex-cop believed that the government was getting ready to file criminal charges against him.
He took a flight to Singapore two days ago after being cleared by the country’s Bureau of Immigration (BOI).
BOI spokeswoman Ms. Antonette Mangrobang texted Monday, that, “Lascanas did not have any immigration lookout bulletin order or hold departure order issued against him.”
During a previous interview with Reuters, Lascanas claimed that he was not afraid of Duterte and he said four more members of the hit squad would reveal themselves to testify.
According to human rights organizations, president Duterte’s war on drugs has caused the deaths of 8,000 people so far.
Around 2,500 of the suspects were killed when they violently resisted arrest.